a specialized social skills program
Some youth live most of their lives on the outside, never knowing what it's like to be included in the group or simply have a friend. These children are often bright but also socially awkward. Most derive security from the routine but struggle with change.
Anxiety fuels outbursts and extreme behavior. They may fixate on a subject or hobby and won't let go or are unable to pick up on non-verbal, emotional cues in social situations. As much as they want to belong, their world can be a lonely, one dimensional place. For these kids, and their families, we've developed something new and different at Montcalm School.
Outside In is less about labels like Aspergers, Bipolar and ADHD and more about one thing these kids have in common - a desire to control things and avoid anxiety.
- a residential school for youth 12-21 years of age
- a low student to teacher ratio
- a unique staffing model that includes a full-time Occupational Therapist
- a new (2011) Sensory Integration Room complete with stimulating and soothing apparati
- year-round school, including summer, with rolling admissions
- individualized Learning Style Assessments
- communication/updates provided to the family and/or Educational Consultants
- length of stay is determined by the individual needs of the student
- smaller, similar-aged groups in cottage living settings
- a Positive Youth Development environment where students can practice and learn from one another
- a strength-based treatment philosophy that builds self-esteem and confidence
- full access to health clinic, schools, gym and Outdoor Adventure Education activities
- on-campus transitional living program for young adults
- a program of Starr Commonwealth, with nearly 100 years of success helping struggling kids
From the Outside In: Meeting the Needs of Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders is a free booklet now available to families seeking more information and possible treatment options for youth with Autism, Asperger's Syndrome and other developmental disorders. Download a free copy today or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a free copy by mail.